One of the coolest things we have observed during GLI’s 26 years is that most who attend our ADT classes experience God’s love in a much deeper way. That’s one big reason we have two live ADT versions and one on demand version.
The reality is that God lives in every believer so He can love us and live through us. His love is like a never-ending river. There is nothing we can do to cause Him to stop it because we aren’t that strong. So, if we aren’t experiencing His love from time to time, the issue is not on His side but ours. Though His love never stops, we can erect barriers consisting of lies that keep us from enjoying His love. Here are a few of those lies with Scripture truths to knock them down.
- We believe there is something still wrong with us regardless of our identity in Christ. God’s answer, 1 John 3:1a, See what kind of love the Father has given to us, that we should be called children of God; and so we are.
- We don’t believe we have been fully forgiven in Christ for our past, present, and future sins. God’s answer, Hebrew 10:17, I will remember their sins and their lawless deeds no more.
- We fear God will eventually leave us because of ongoing or certain sins. God’s answer, Hebrews 13:5c, I will never leave you nor forsake you.
- We haven’t forgiven people who sinned against us. God’s answer, Ephesians 4:30, Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.
- We have a law mentality instead of a grace mentality. God’s answer, Romans 6:14, For sin will have no dominion over you, since you are not under law but under grace.
- We believe good circumstances are evidence that God loves us and bad ones are the opposite. God’s answer, Romans 8:38-39, For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.
- Some may think, well God is love so He has to love me. God’s answer, Ephesians 1:4, Even as he chose (adopted) us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love.”
Let me reiterate this. There is nothing we can do to stop God from loving us! Why? Because of what Jesus has done for us and to us!
I walk most days and see these two small dogs almost every time. They are tied together on a long chain and can’t quite get close enough for me to pet them. The yellow one wags its tail the entire time as if to say, “Please love me. Can’t you see how cute I am by my wagging tail?” The dark gray one never wags its tail as if to say, “Stay away from me. I don’t believe you love me and I’m afraid of you.” One is performing for my love and the other is afraid of my love.
Some of us are still thinking if we perform enough God will finally love us. Others of us are afraid of God and don’t believe He does love us. The good news is that He lives in us and already loves us whether we feel it all of the time or not. Though I do not always feel His love, I am confident it’s always there. That is why some days, I take a brief moment and thank Him that He lives in me and loves me.
(If you would like to have the opportunity to experience God’s love in a deeper way, check out our ADT On Demand here.)